Monday, April 14, 2008

The Nap Saga Continues!

Starting today we are trying to get back on a routine for naps. Over spring break we were very inconsistent with naps and bedtimes. I am using this opportunity to try to transition them to three naps, instead of four. I have read the HIGHLY recommended sleep book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" at least a dozen times. The pediatrician who wrote it is supposedly a "sleep expert" and he suggests that at the girls' age they should be waking around 7 am and napping at approximately 9 and 1, with an optional third nap around 4, and a bedtime between 6 and 8 pm. He is also an advocate of letting them cry, if need be, so they can learn to self-soothe. I never would have thought I could let my child cry... but then I had twins!

So we will use his methods for a few days and see how it goes. My problem has always been consistency, but the next few days I will follow his method faithfully come h*** or high water! I'm still going to hold off on any type of night sleep training for now because they genuinely seem hungry when they wake in the middle of the night. Also, it is just easier to get up and feed them since they go right back to sleep than to let them cry and keep me up!

We tried the three naps today and they did surprisingly well. I put them down at 9, 12:30 and 3:30 and they slept for approximately 45 minutes each time, with only about 15 minutes of crying from one or the other. As for bedtime, I put them down at 6:15. Candace went right to sleep with no crying, woke at 7 and cried for about 15 minutes, and is now back to sleep. Cassidy cried for about 30 minutes before falling asleep, woke at 7:15 (I'm sure from Candace's crying)and didn't go back to sleep until 8. She is a stubborn little thing! Part of her problem is that she rolls onto her tummy and can't get back over, but according to the "rules" I am not supposed to go in and roll her over, in fact, I am not supposed to go in AT ALL!

It is SOOO hard listening to them cry, but after TONS of research on the topic and other's success stories, I am convinced that I am NOT traumatizing them for life and that I am helping them develop good sleep habits. If I had a singleton I may feel very differently about it, but when you have TWO babies, it is hard to use any "gentler" strategy and if I just "go with the flow" I will never sleep and never get a break during the day!

This is how I find Cassidy now after most naps! It is nearly impossible to keep her on her back in the crib and on the floor.




Cassidy is SO yummy!


3 comments:

Erika'sMommy said...

Good luck Nicole! I have very similar issues going on with Erika. I give all you twin Mommies a lot of credit because i am beat with just one.

Arjun and Indira said...

Good luck Nicole, I know you have been working on this and I am glad that the HHSCH book came in handy. I have YET to read it. I stopped reading books when they were really little because they seemed to stress me out more if they didn't follow it. We basically have that sleep schedule anyway so it may be just time.

jtguttman said...

Love the head sucking pic! I think that needs to be added to your siggy! Glad the sleep training is working a little. I'm listening to Jake cry right now. He refuses to sleep in his crib during the day! UGH. Good luck this week!