Friday, April 4, 2008

Burglars, Babies, and Poop... What a Day!!

I was awoken yesterday morning around 5 am to the sound of someone or something on our back patio. We have a screened-in porch in the backyard, kind of like an Arizona room (here they are called Florida rooms.) We would like to eventually get some patio furniture for out there, but as of now the only thing out there is a few boxes that need to be moved to storage and our recycle bin. So anyway, I hear the sounds of something rifling through our things, so I wake Sean and he goes to investigate. It was a raccoon sifting through our recycle bin! It had broken the bottom part of the screen door and was helping itself to our empty cans and bottles. Sean chased it off, but it was still quite the rude awakening! I've never had to deal with so many critters! We have a squirrel infestation in the 2 large oak trees in the front and back yards, Aidan has encountered a possum in the back yard, and now raccoons, not to mention all the lizards, spiders, ants and dreaded mosquitos! Just another reason to move to Alaska, nothing but moose there!

After the early morning visit from our beady-eyed garbage thief, we had a wonderful afternoon! I hosted our very first "Mom's Lunch In" Luncheon. It is our alternative to a "Girl's Night Out." Since it is very difficult for new moms to get out and socialize in the evenings without their babies, I figured it would make more sense to try to socialize during the day WITH our babies. It is like a playgroup for both moms and babies. We plan to meet once a month for lunch at somebody's home and we each bring something to eat, like a potluck. Yesterday there were four moms and a total of six babies ranging in age from 5 months to 8 months. We were amazed at how well all six babies behaved! They were very calm and interactive, and seemed quite content to roll around on the floor together or observe from the exersaucer, jumperoo or bumbos. The moms were all able to leisurely enjoy our lunch AND carry on a conversation. We are already looking forward to next month, at which we expect to have even more moms and babies!

Our great day ended with the poop fiasco to end all poop fiascos (Warning: not for those with weak stomachs!) Despite frequent diaper changes and me diligently slathering on Aquaphor at every diaper change, Candace has had a mild diaper rash on and off for the past couple weeks. She just has very sensitive skin. So in my infinite wisdom, last night I decided to let her have naked tummy time before bed to let her bottom air out. I set her on an old comforter, anticipating any minor pee-pee accidents, but .... Can you tell where this is going? Long story short, she pooped all over the blanket and rolled in it before I could rush over and scoop her up. Her entire bottom half was covered in runny poo. On the optimistic side, at least it was JUST her bottom half! We are all clean and sanitized now, but it was not quite how I planned on spending my evening. Lesson learned, from now on naked tummy time will be saved for those periods of time immediately after a stinky diaper!

Babies, babies everywhere!


Jake, Kara, Candace, Evangeline, Candace, Ryan, Cassidy


Cuties! Cassidy is missing from this pic because she is in the Bumbo seat at my feet.


Cassidy trying out Jake & Ryan's Bumbo seat, she was quite happy to sit there and sift through her toy basket! I may need to invest in one of these seats because she LOVED being upright to see everything!


4 comments:

Arjun and Indira said...

Nicole, LOVE the name change! So cute. I am glad you had so much fun with all the babies. I can't wait for next month! Wow, what a poop story, I need to check TS to see if you posted it there too! The bumbo is great and Indira sits the same way!

Damiane'

jtguttman said...

We had a poop explosion yesterday! And it was with the diaper on! Gross! I had no idea a raccoon came to visit! We had so much fun at your house and will stop by again soon. (can you email me the pics with the boys in it?)

cohlee said...

hahaha, I love poo-splosions stories! They give me the giggles!!

Heather & Chaos said...

I LOVE that last picture. It's like she saying "oh no! You caught me!!"