Tuesday, March 4, 2008

She went back for her...

I am not sure how many of you know or remember, but before conceiving the twins I had a miscarriage. I was 12 weeks pregnant and it was right after we moved to Florida. That was July 2006. In October 2006, I had to have a D&C because not everything "flushed out" from the miscarriage. I conceived the twins 4 months later, in February 2007.

The reason I am bringing all of this up is because I have recently talked to quite a few other twin moms who had a miscarriage/d&c shortly before conceiving twins. It got me thinking about something my mom said. She told me that one of them (the twins) had to go back to get the other because she wasn't meant to come into the world alone. It is as if I never really lost the one, I just had to wait for her to go back and get her sister. This may sound a little "out there" to some people, but I'm convinced it is true!

I'm finding that twins after miscarriage/d&c happens more than you would think. I thought there might be a medical explanation, like maybe after a d&c you're more likely to ovulate two eggs, resulting in fraternal twins? This sounds plausible, but I found that there are also quite a few identicals (a split egg) that resulted after miscarriage. So now I am even more convinced that my very wise mother's theory is true.

If nothing else, it is a beautiful and positive spin to a difficult experience. FWIW, I think Candace went back to get Cassidy. My mom thinks that's why Cassidy always looks so confused and shocked - Candace drug her here! As my mom always says, she looks like she's saying "Wait! I didn't sign up for this!" Whatever the reason, I am so blessed to have my twins and so glad I have them BOTH!

2 comments:

Erika'sMommy said...

Wow Nicole...that is so touching! I never heard of that before but you have me convinced!!
Heidi

Arjun and Indira said...

I saw you post this on TS and was surprised to see how many agreed. That is wonderful that you got these two and you love them so much.

Damiane'