Sunday, July 20, 2008

Changes

Friday was an insane day and there will be lots of changes for us in the very near future. In fact, I am still overwhelmed and trying to process everything, so forgive me if this post seems muddled.

I had the interview for the teaching job at 2:00 on Friday. The position is a fourth grade language arts position team teaching with a master teacher who is about to retire. It is a small, wonderful school with a great reputation and in a beautiful neighborhood only 15 minutes from our house. The principal was very friendly and warm, so I was very excited about this job! Unfortunately, I thought the interview went just okay, she caught me off-guard with a few of the questions. However, it must have gone better than I thought because just two hours later the principal called me from her home to offer me the position! I eagerly accepted, but immediately got a sick sinking feeling in my stomach realizing everything that I'll have to do to prepare the girls (bottles, pumping, adjust scheduling, etc.) and the reality that I will have to leave them :(.

As if that life change wasn't enough to process, Sean got an e-mail later that night that he has been put on orders for a deployment. It was a typical army document, cryptic and filled with lingo and acronyms, but the best we can tell, it is a 12 month deployment to Iraq. He reports to Ft. Riley, Kansas for up to 6 months of pre-deployment training on October 26. The e-mail also says something about his homebase assignment, which is where we will have the option of moving before he deploys. We don't have confirmation yet, but again the best we can tell, his homebase is Ft. Huachuca, back in Arizona. If that is the case, we will be moving back to AZ in the next 2-3 months! We are hoping that tomorrow he can get in touch with someone and find out more specifics.

I have such a mix of emotions about it all. I am admittedly very excited to go back home to Arizona, but also terribly sad and nervous about Sean's one year deployment. I am also a little disappointed about not being able to take the new job I just accepted. I really was very excited about the position, however, I am also a little relieved that I won't have to leave the girls yet. I may try to get in touch with my old school about a job there in Arizona once we know more for sure, but we will be moving after the school year starts so I may need to wait another year, which would actually be okay with me. Also, although the army will pay to move us since it is his homebase, I cannot live on base housing until he returns, so we may try to buy a house there. It's all so overwhelming! We'll hopefully know more very soon so I'll keep you all updated.

The girls will be 9 months on Wednesday, can you believe it? So I'll inundate you with their milestones and pictures then!

5 comments:

Frosty Family said...

Wow! That's it, just wow!

Arjun and Indira said...

OMG, Sean might be going away for that long? Wow, I don't know what to say. Hugs to you definitely. And you might be leaving? I am so sad, I could cry. I know that you miss AZ so much and it would work out better for you overall but I would miss you terribly.
Damiane'

Kyrstyn said...

Wow!! I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and I hope everything goes how you would like it to.

Erika'sMommy said...

Good Luck Nicole...that is so much to process!

mrs.izzy said...

Wow, that is a LOT! It drove me nuts not being with my hubby when he went to Germany for 2 weeks. I can't even imagine how it would be to be gone from your spouse for that long!

I hope things get sorted out and things fall into place, at least one by one.