Thursday, July 17, 2008

Back Home

Well, we're back! We survived the journey home and have FINALLY gotten settled back in. It has been a very busy past few days!

Thanks to the amazing kindness of strangers, and despite a rude and unhelpful ticket agent in Tucson, the trip back went fairly well. Leaving from Tucson, we checked our baggage and I requested a gate pass for my sister so she could help me through security. This wasn't a problem when we left from Tampa as they were sympathetic to the fact that I had three children, two of which are infants, and it would be physically impossible for me to fold the stroller and put it through the x-ray machine while holding the two babies. Well the ticket agent in Tucson refused to give us the gate pass, citing it was against their policy, despite the fact that it was no problem in Tampa AND when I called the airline prior to the trip asking them about this they said it would be no problem. Anyway long story short, despite the very rude lady at the ticket counter, we made it through security with the help of a kind onlooker and an awesome security guard (a father of twins himself.) Thankfully all the rest of the American Airlines people we encountered were helpful and friendly.

We had two flights again, each about two hours, with a two hour layover in Dallas. The girls were pretty well behaved on each flight. We lucked out on the first flight, because it wasn't full they gave us an extra seat so I was able to use both car seats. It was great not having to hold a baby in my lap the whole flight! Again, I am so grateful for the kindness of strangers. So many people were so helpful! There seemed to always be someone there to help soothe a baby, carry a bag, or offer whatever assistance we needed. The worst part of the trip was actually the ride home from the airport. The girls were exhausted and screamed the whole ride home.

Once home it took two or three days for the girls to adjust to the 3 hour time change and get back into a routine. The first few days were pretty rough because the girls were very whiny and clingy and I had SO much to get done! In addition to the laundry and unpacking, I had to deal with a very dirty, smelly carpet. Our two cats were apparently not happy that we left them for 6 weeks (we did have friends feeding them and changing the litter) so they decided to leave "presents" on the floor for us. They chose one favorite spot along a wall that was soaked with urine... YUCK!!! So, on top of the normal cleaning, unpacking, etc. after a vacation, we had to move furniture and pay a great deal to have the carpets professionally cleaned and the spot treated with a special pet treatment.

As if all this wasn't enough to keep me busy, we also had to rearrange furniture and turn our spare room into a playroom for the girls. Before we left they had a small play area in the living room, which worked fine because they couldn't leave that area. Now that they can both crawl and pull up on things, I wanted them to have their own baby-proof room. We also went to the children's resale store and traded in their swings and infant toys for some toy bins and more developmentally appropriate toys. I am very happy with how there playroom turned out (see pics below), but it was just one more thing we've had to do. I have just one final touch to add in the playroom, some Dr. Seuss wall murals! I'll take some more pics after it's complete.

The final thing that has kept me busy is looking at nearby daycare centers. I have an interview for a teaching job tomorrow and I am very excited about it, but unfortunately we are still far down on the waiting list for the daycare on the base. I wanted to make sure I'd have acceptable care available for the girls before I accept any job offer, so the search began. After two days and visiting and interviewing six different centers, I finally found one where I would be comfortable leaving the girls. The staff was warm and friendly, the facilities are new and very nice, the price is affordable, and their philosophy, schedule and approach fit well for our family. Now for the next step, landing the job! I have very mixed feelings about going back to work, so I've decided to be optimistic and happy either way. Que sera, sera!

As you can see, we've been VERY busy! So please forgive me if you are among my friends in Tampa that I have not gotten in touch with yet! I look forward to seeing you all soon!


The girls playing with one of their new toys...






Look what I can do!




Daddy's Girls



The Playroom



4 comments:

jtguttman said...

That looks great! I'm so glad you were able to get so much done! Good luck on the job interview!

mrs.izzy said...

Sounds like it was quite a trip. Isn't it amazing how kind some strangers are? and oh..and some fellow twin parents!

The girls look good. How old are they now? It would be great for them and you to have them in a place that is baby proofed. :-)

Erika'sMommy said...

I hope the job interview went well! I am rooting for you. And busy isn't a strong enough word to describe all you have been doing. You made me exhausted just thinking of it!

Arjun and Indira said...

Welcome home Nicole! That trip sounds exhausting just reading about it. The playroom looks great and I am sure they love having all that space to learn new things!
Damiane'